Week 6: Topics 1 and 2

Topic One:

I normally will get my news from Facebook, Yahoo, or from talking with my boyfriend. The news is not extremely important to my daily life right now because I am busy with volleyball and moving currently. But, the news was very important to my daily life when the elections were going on. How I know that the news I am using is accurate is, I do not know if it is very accurate some of the time. I really have to check sources when looking on Facebook for bias and credibility and on Yahoo, again I check my sources, but I trust a little bit more with Yahoo. I also believe my boyfriends sources, he is really into watching the news and is majoring in political science. So, while talking with him I make sure to ask questions about where he got his information to make sure it is accurate.

My news sources citations:
(n.d.). Retrieved August 04, 2017, from https://www.facebook.com/
Yahoo. (n.d.). Retrieved August 04, 2017, from https://www.yahoo.com/

2. I do not subscribe to any online news sources because it does cost money and I think that I get enough information through Yahoo and from talking with people right now. I am not willing to pay for a subscription to online news sources because I know that I will not go through and read it everyday and I have other things to spend money on. But I might subscribe when I am out of college and can pay all of my bills by myself.

 3. On a scale from 1 to 5, I believe I am about a two in information on current events nationally and in my community. It was easier to stay updated when I was taking classes inside the Linn-Benton Community College campus, but since I have been living at home I have fallen off the news train for a bit. LBCC also had a newspaper that kept me updated on events that were happening in the school and events happening out of the school. And professors and students in the classes I was taking were good sources of information about what was going on. Since I have been moving from Albany to Portland it has been harder to stay updated with what is happening in my community. It is important to me to be well informed about things going on around the world and in my community, but I am also okay with not keeping up with the news as much others. As I stated before, I am not really in-tune with what is currently going on in my community. But, through my college education I have met different groups of people with all sorts of backgrounds. I have made a few friends in particular that are concerned with their families immigration status. Recently I have found out that Oregon is a sanctuary state which means “Oregon law prohibits the use of state and local resources to enforce federal immigration law if a person’s only crime is being in the country illegally” (OPD.org). I think this important information to know because my friends and their families are good people and I do not believe that it is a crime for them to better their lives here in the United States.



Topic Two:

1. What I think about President Trump labeling news stories as “fake news” is absolutely ridiculous. It is the media's job to keep those in office in check. The media's job is to allow transparency in office when in other words it would not be. The media is allowing the people of the United States a window into what is really going on in office and allowing the people to draw their own conclusions from what is being said and done by the president. The most prominent example is that of the Vietnam war where the press simply stated that the United States was winning and that there was a just cause but, in reality we were fighting a war that never needed to take place. As Americans we were so worried about the domino effect of communism we never stopped and asked ourselves if communism was really effective gong Vietnam. I stand by our media to keep the president and those in office honest and allowing the people to draw conclusions from what is really going on.

2. I think it is a direct attack on the first amendment and targeting that of the free press. Without the media we would be flying blind in a storm of politics that the average Joe would not be able to keep up with. I truly believe that the media, with the use of checking the source, allows the people a chance to understand what is going on. It is a constant battle of those in office to put out to the American people what they want to here. In this case the media is telling the people what needs to be heard. If there really was collusion with Russia do you think the people in office now would want that to get out. It is a constant game of covering your own back and the media currently is not allowing the people to become brainwashed to the good words that the president continually preaches.

3. Our current state of affairs is ultimately weakened. Those who think that the office of the president is a good thing is an absolute joke. World wide people are afraid of what our new president brings to the table. America is currently a wild card that has caused a similar domino effect such as the current election in Sweden and in France. There is no telling it like it is in the world of politics. Everything is muddied down and obscure to the American people so it is easy to fill in a ballot. If those who are not informed are to vote it is easy to vote for the propositions put in place be they current party. I am a firm believer in outsourcing current news and finding the truth and flaws within news stories.


References:
Wilson, C. (n.d.). 30 Years After Its Passing, Oregon's 'Sanctuary State' Law Serves As A Model For Others. Retrieved August 04, 2017, from http://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-sanctuary-city-state-donald-trump-immigration/



Comments

  1. Hi Sydney! I admire that you included such detailed and well placed links. I also agree and designated with your idea that we can obtain similar information from other online sources, compared to spending money on a news subscription.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1: Topics 1 and 2

Blog Project #2