Week 8: Topics 1 and 2

Topic One:
1 I did see some books on the ALA list that I have read. I saw the Captain Underpants series by, Dav Pilkey. I was shocked that this book was listed because I loved reading it growing up. But, I can see where it can be inappropriate, it references a lot of crude language that has to do with poop and stuff, but I thought it was so funny. I also saw, Crank by, Ellen Hopkins, which I totally agree with. That book series is very dark sometimes, I loved reading the books, but some kids growing up may take some of the books more serious than I did. The book references a lot of sex and teenagers acting as if they were adults and making adult decisions and it being okay. And I saw the series ttyl; ttfn; and 18r g8r. These books were also too mature for the audience they targeted. The book was about teenage girls, but they would sometimes sleep with their teachers, or they would use a lot of offensive language.

2. My take on limiting access to certain books is that sometimes it is okay to limit access to certain books. I believe that we should expose children to homosexuality sometimes, or exposing them to different types of family living situations, like divorced parents.  I believe that we should limit books with very mature content and crude language in elementary schools or middle schools because children live in a very happy world and to keep it happy, we should make sure the books they read are appropriate. I believe objectives seem reasonable when trying to add a book like, Crank, into a school library because some of the books in that series are very dark.

3. The books that you would find on my bookshelf are the Harry Potter series by, J.K. Rowling; Spiderwick by, Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black; and some various anatomy books from a door-to-door salesman. These books can show that I am very imaginative and like to escape reality a lot. The anatomy books are cool because I really enjoy understanding how the body works to the best of my ability, even though I am majoring in Business.

Topic Two:
1.  magazines I have read over the years are Women's health magazines, Cosmopolitan, and Volleyball USA magazine.The interest I have in the Women's Health magazine was the different exercises each month and different recipes that were healthy, and sometimes they would have a cool story. My interest with Cosmopolitan magazine was sometimes the workouts included and relationship advice. And lastly, my interest with Volleyball USA magazine is that I love to see how all of these teams from around the world are doing and I like to see what volleyball shoes are the best, because I play volleyball.

2. In the Women's Health magazine they feature a lot of supplements throughout their magazine like protein powders and pills that will make you healthier. They also advertise different running shoes and different workout clothing lines. In Cosmopolitan magazine they feature makeup products and clothing lines, they also use a lot of sex tips to gain popularity. And in the Volleyball USA magazine they feature a lot of different brands of volleyball shoes and ankle braces. They also include a lot of different volleyball equipment like nets, poles, and machines. I believe what these publications say about me as a consumer is that I like to open up my world to new workouts and exercises. I like to stay up to date with the latest gear and I really like to see new ways of doing makeup, for example reading step-by-step tutorials. Altogether, reading these publications should make me seem like a sporty, girly, curious woman, but who knows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6: Topics 1 and 2

Week 1: Topics 1 and 2

Blog Project #2